ViaFence – an amphibian protection and directing system
The protection and directing system for amphibians and other small animals was developed with participation of ecologists who for many years have performed studies on the mortality rate of amphibians on roads and in their vicinity. ViaCon Polska Sp. z o.o. included in its offer a protection system, which is most developed one among such systems available so far in Poland, in order to meet the ever increasing market requirements.
Steel fences in the standard version are made of steel with a thickness of 1.0 - 2.0 mm protected against corrosion by hot dip galvanizing in accordance with PN-EN ISO1461:2011. Depending on the needs, they can also be coated with epoxy paint, epoxy-polyurethane paint, or polyester paint in any colour. Each element of the system can be permanently marked with the name and location of the project or the name of the investor.
The fences consist of basic modules with a length of 4 m and a height of 0.49 m. An additional vertical flange, which prevents amphibians from getting through to the other side of the fence, increases their height to 0.51 m. Each module has a 20-cm raceway ended with a flange with a width of 5 cm, which is sunk in the ground (Fig. 1). It is also possible to make a fence with longitudinal corrugation (Fig. 2), which performs the function of an additional protection that prevents amphibians from climbing up.
Cross section of a steel fence
Installation of the fences does not require the use of heavy equipment. The system was designed in such a way, so that it is possible to install it regardless of the terrain conditions. Among other things, the following solutions were developed: the manner of connecting the fence with engineering structures, the manner of installing the fences at newly built and existing embankments, fences in a free-standing version.
Mounting posts are designed to be placed with a spacing of 4 m. On the sections, which require to be bent in the plane and in the profile, additional masking elements are used to ensure the tightness of the fence.
- A wide raceway to prevent the growth of vegetation, on which amphibians could climb up
- The raceway is ended in such a way, as to prevent digging a tunnel under the fence
- The height of the fence prevents even small animals from getting through it
- A wide flange ended with a drip edge
- A smooth surface prevents amphibians from climbing up
- The tightness of the fence eliminates the risk of confining animals in it
- The stability of the fence is ensured through the use of metal sheet with an adequate thickness and the development of a proper installation system
- Corrosion resistance
- Low cost of construction and maintenance of fences
- Long-term durability